Sunday, August 28, 2011

exploring Roskilde

After being stuck inside all day yesterday due to rainstorms, I was ready to explore this afternoon. Knud and I travelled to the town of Roskilde, which was founded by Vikings in the 10th century.

Roskilde Domkirke
We started our adventure at the Roskilde Domkirke (cathedral), where all the Danish kings and some of the queens have been buried since the Protestant Reformation. There were many special burial rooms and chapels honoring particular kings (all named either Frederik or Christian).  My favorite pieces were the final resting place of Queen Margrethe I and the Alterpiece, which depicts scenes from the life of Christ.
Queen Margrethe I

Alterpiece
Next, we stopped by the Roskilde Harbor, where we saw Viking boat replicas, built in the same fashion (and using the same tools!) as the real boats. The harbor also houses many sailboats and fishing boats, as well as a beautiful view.

View from the Roskilde Harbor

I also enjoyed my first Danish ice (ice cream).  It was a delicious combination of strawberry, white chocolate, and mint ice cream, and definitely worth the walk and semi-high cost (about 5 American dollars).

No comments:

Post a Comment